Hardin Memorial Health celebrated a new affiliation between its Cancer Care Center and the University of Kentucky Markey Cancer Center, the state’s first and only National Cancer Institute-designated cancer center.
The UK Markey Cancer Center Affiliate Network was created to provide high-quality cancer care closer to home for patients across the region, and to minimize the effects of cancer through prevention and education programs, exceptional clinical care, and access to research.
By joining the UK Markey Cancer Center Affiliate Network, the HMH Cancer Care Center will be able to offer their patients access to additional specialty and subspecialty physicians and care, including clinical trials and advanced technology, while allowing them to stay closer to home for most treatments. The Markey Cancer Center Affiliate Network supports UK HealthCare’s overall mission of ensuring no Kentuckian will have to leave the state to get access to top-of-the-line health care.
Markey is one of only 68 medical centers in the country to earn an NCI cancer center designation. Because of the designation, Markey patients have access to new drugs, treatment options and clinical trials offered only at NCI centers.
Moving forward, the Markey Cancer Center is working toward the next tier of designation – an NCI-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center. Currently, 41 of the 68 NCI-designated cancer centers in the country hold a comprehensive cancer center status. The Markey Cancer Center Affiliate Network will play a large role in bringing that next level of cancer funding to Kentucky.
The UK Markey Cancer Center Affiliate Network began in 2006 and comprises eleven hospitals across the state of Kentucky:
- ARH Cancer Center-Hazard
- Frankfort Regional Medical Center
- Georgetown Community Hospital
- Hardin Memorial Health Cancer Care Center, Elizabethtown
- Harlan ARH Hospital
- Harrison Memorial Hospital, Cynthiana
- Norton Cancer Institute, Louisville (Norton Healthcare-UK HealthCare partnership)
- Our Lady of Bellefonte Hospital, Ashland
- Rockcastle Regional Hospital, Mount Vernon
- St. Claire Regional Medical Center, Morehead
- Williamson ARH Hospital
Evaluations are under way for several other hospitals, including two more outside the state of Kentucky, extending Markey’s reach and establishing it as the destination cancer center for the region.
Latest posts by Sally McMahon (see all)
- UK Center of Excellence in Rural Health releases research report on COVID-19 stakeholder experiences in Kentucky - March 23, 2021
- March of Dimes and Anthem Foundation Tackle Inequity in Maternal Healthcare in Kentucky - March 23, 2021
- Peer review privilege in Kentucky: A revolution in public policy - March 22, 2021